If I cannot eat dairy foods, how can I get enough calcium?

If you cannot eat dairy foods, you can get enough calcium from many other foods. Almost any nondairy milk out there today is fortified with calcium and vitamin D, including fortified soy, almond and hemp milks. You can also get calcium from broccolis and many other plants. 
Nell Stephenson
Many of us think that dairy is the main source of calcium, but there are alternate sources that actually create a healthier calcium balance in our bodies. Watch nutritional coach Nell Stephenson explain how leafy greens are also rich in calcium.
If you're lactose intolerant, it can be hard to get enough calcium. Lactose is the sugar that is found in dairy products like milk. Lactose intolerance means your body has a hard time digesting foods that contain lactose. You may have symptoms like gas, bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and nausea. Lactose intolerance can start at any age but often starts when you get older.

Lactose-reduced and lactose-free products are sold in food stores. There's a great variety, including milk, cheese, and ice cream. You can also take pills or liquids before eating dairy foods to help you digest them. You can buy these pills at the grocery store or drug store. Please note: If you have symptoms of lactose intolerance, see your doctor or nurse. These symptoms could also be from a different, more serious illness.
People who are lactose intolerant or who are vegans (eat only plant-based foods) can choose from other food sources of calcium, including canned salmon with bones, sardines, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, kale, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, broccoli, and calcium-fortified orange juice. Some cereals also have calcium added. You can also take calcium pills. Talk to your doctor or nurse first to see which one is best for you.

This answer is based on source information from National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
What should I know about cobalt before taking it?
Before taking cobalt, there are certain facts you should know. Most of the time a cobalt supplem...
Is chocolate a good source of iron and minerals?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Quality chocolate made with a good amount of cocoa powder is rich in iron and minerals. You can ...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young