Is ferrous sulfate important for treating anemia?

Yes, ferrous sulfate is important in the treatment of anemia, but only iron deficiency anemia. This is a shortage of red blood cells caused when insufficient iron is available to produce hemoglobin. Weakness and fatigue commonly occur because the cells in the body don’t get enough oxygen. Iron is a major part of the protein hemoglobin, which carries oxygen throughout the body. You should talk with your doctor about taking iron supplements if you have anemia.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
What is cobalt?
Cobalt is a mineral found in nature, generally in the crust of the earth and used in a variety o...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young