What diseases are caused by calcium deficiency?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Calcium deficiency in children may lead to rickets, which results in bone deformities and growth retardation. In adults, calcium deficiency may result in osteomalacia or a softening of the bones. Extremely low levels of calcium in the blood may result in muscle spasms and leg cramps. Studies indicate that low calcium intake also contributes to high blood pressure and osteoporosis.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What are non-essential minerals?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The non-essential minerals are minerals that are not required for human nutrition. In fact, many of ...
Why do I need minerals in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Minerals are divided into major minerals and trace minerals. Minerals are used in nerve impulse tran...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young