Can chromium help me lose weight?

It is still unclear whether chromium supplementation promotes safe weight loss, and some studies indicate that it may even cause weight gain. Indeed, one study links the intake of chromium picolinate with weight gain among already overweight women. As for other claims, studies show little evidence that chromium adds muscle mass.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
Why should pregnant women and young children limit mercury consumption?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
Because fetuses and young children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of mercury, it is part...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young