Can too much copper make me sick?

Yes, too much copper can make you sick. Generally, an overdose of copper is very rare. But for some people, their genes may leave them extra sensitive to copper poisoning. For example, if you have Wilson's disease, which is inherited, it would cause your body to retain too much copper. The mineral would build up in your liver, brain and other tissues. The result could be serious illness, such as from the liver damage of hepatitis.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What foods are good dietary sources of minerals?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Since plants incorporate minerals from the soil into their own tissues, fruits, vegetables, grains, ...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young