Can low calcium intake cause high blood pressure?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some research suggests a low calcium intake may contribute to high blood pressure, but calcium's exact role in hypertension is unknown. One theory holds that a lack of calcium in the diet predisposes your body to retain sodium, which raises blood pressure. For this reason, it may be especially important that people with hypertension get enough calcium. On the other hand, in randomized controlled trials, calcium supplements have very small effects on blood pressure. Eating a healthy diet, consuming potassium from foods, and lowering salt in your diet are the best dietary approaches to reduce your blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What is the role of boron in my body?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Boron, a mineral plentiful in fruits and vegetables, appears to play an active role in the metabolis...
What minerals do I need in my diet?
A number of minerals are found in either large or trace amounts in our bodies, all of which are nece...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young