Advertisement

Can copper be poisonous?

Copper can be poisonous in very large amounts. If you swallow a lot of mineral supplements containing copper, you'll get very sick. Symptoms of copper poisoning include stomach pain, vomiting, fever, chills, diarrhea and yellowing of the skin. Liver failure or death may even occur. If you suspect copper poisoning, contact poison control immediately or call 911.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Read More
At what age should I start taking iron supplements?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Talk to your doctor to determine if you need iron supplements. People who may need supplements inclu...
More Answers
How does cobalt affect the body?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Cobalt is used in the body to help absorb and process vitamin B12. In addition, cobalt helps tre...
More Answers
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.