Can my child take chromium?

You shouldn't give a child more than the Adequate Intake (AI) of chromium for his age, because higher doses haven't been fully studied. However, most supplements contain larger amounts, so check the label. Talk to your child’s doctor before giving your child any supplement or medication.

Here is the AI for children by age:
  • birth to 6 months: 0.2 micrograms (mcg)
  • ages 7 to 12 months: 5.5 mcg
  • ages 1 to 3: 11 mcg
  • ages 4 to 8: 15 mcg
  • boys ages 9 to 13: 25 mcg
  • girls ages 9 to 13: 21 mcg
  • boys and girls ages 14 to 18: 24 mcg

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
Is silicone safe?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Silicone is a safe material that is virtually everywhere in our modern society. It is used to co...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young