When should I call my doctor about problems taking potassium supplements?

If you are experiencing confusion, black stools, gray skin that is cold or clammy, unusual feelings in your arms or legs such as tingling, burning, or tightness, stomach pain, leg weakness, or a sense of heaviness in your legs, call your doctor immediately. These symptoms are major red flags. Also, if the more common side effects like upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting stick around too long like a frustrating cold, it’s a good idea to call your doctor.

If you take potassium supplements, call your doctor right away if you have tingling or pulsating in your legs, arms or feet. Also call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:

• confusion
  • cold, pale skin
  • stomach pain
  • bulging stomach
  • black stools
  • heaviness or weakness in your legs
  • lack of energy

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fo...
What is zinc?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Zinc is an essential mineral. It is naturally present in many foods, including milk and meat product...
What is the role of minerals in my body?
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDr. Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
The body needs, and stores, fairly large amounts of the major minerals. These minerals are no more i...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young