When should I call my doctor about problems taking potassium supplements?

If you take potassium supplements, call your doctor right away if you have tingling or pulsating in your legs, arms or feet. Also call your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:

• confusion
  • cold, pale skin
  • stomach pain
  • bulging stomach
  • black stools
  • heaviness or weakness in your legs
  • lack of energy

If you are experiencing confusion, black stools, gray skin that is cold or clammy, unusual feelings in your arms or legs such as tingling, burning, or tightness, stomach pain, leg weakness, or a sense of heaviness in your legs, call your doctor immediately. These symptoms are major red flags. Also, if the more common side effects like upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting stick around too long like a frustrating cold, it’s a good idea to call your doctor.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Is silicone safe?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Silicone is a safe material that is virtually everywhere in our modern society. It is used to co...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young