Can calcium help me lose weight?

Getting enough calcium, especially through low-fat dairy foods, may help you lose weight if you're following a calorie-controlled weight-loss program. People who consume too little calcium are more likely to gain weight than those who get adequate calcium in their diets. In some studies of people on weight-loss diets, those who consumed more calcium from dairy foods, such as yogurt, lost more weight than dieters who took in less dairy-based calcium. But increasing calcium isn't a weight-loss solution on its own. You need to do it as part of a balanced program.
When you’re calcium deficient, your body is more disposed to create fat cells than when you’re getting an adequate amount of calcium. Researchers at the University of Tennessee found that high calcium, and especially high-dairy diets, seemed to enhance weight loss among obese individuals who were already following a low-calorie regimen -- but other investigators have had difficulty duplicating these results.
You already know that calcium is good for your bones, but some research has suggested that it may also help with weight loss. One study found that 1,000 milligrams a day of calcium helps both reduce fat intake and increase fat metabolism -- a double whammy in the world of weight loss. You can get the calcium (which is absorbed better through the liquid form of milk, called the whey, than the solid part, the curd) through the usual suspects like low-fat dairy products or supplements. But don't rule out the stealth sources either, like sardines, beans, sesame seeds, and oranges.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Why should I consume the right amount of trace minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Too much of one trace mineral can cause or contribute to a deficiency of another; for example, a min...
Should I let my doctor know I take cobalt?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or medication to avoid possible inte...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young