How much calcium do I need after parathyroid removal?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness
The answer must come from the surgeon who removes the gland. Everyone is different and especially based on age. Before surgery you will be given a general idea of amounts needed. Basically it's around 333 mg every 2-4 hours, but after surgery, the patient may dictate how much they need (especially if they are younger adults or teens) by the tingling of the extremities (lips, fingers, etc.). The surgeon will generally have you use a calcium citrate supplement up until you need more than 6-10 tab per day (dictated by your “tingling "). At this point you will continue with the calcium citrate but if you need to exceed the "6-10" tabs of calcium citrate based on the "tingling", you will add another calcium supplement that can be absorbed in other areas of your digestive tract until your blood calcium levels normalize. I am only giving you basic information that I happen to know because my daughter had her parathyroid removed recently but your surgeon's team, like mine, must give you the answer daily.
Joane Goodroe
Nursing
Immediately following a parathyroid removal, the doctors will be concerned about a low calcium level. They will give you instructions of how much calcium to take and symptoms that may indicate when you need more calcium. The calcium dose with be different based on each patient's individual situation. Be sure to call your doctor immediately if you have any concerns.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Carotenoids: The Calcium Side Your Bones Crave
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a healthy salad on the side. Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study fou...
What is the role of minerals in my body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The role of minerals in your body is to help your body to grow and to stay healthy. Minerals are ess...
What do balanced levels of potassium and sodium prevent?
Maintaining a diet that balances your body's levels of potassium and sodium can aid in preventing an...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young