What happens if my body has an overabundance of iron?

While the body can't live without iron, an overabundance can be dangerous as well. Iron toxicity can occur because the body doesn't have a natural way to excrete iron; too much can cause liver or heart damage. So always consult with your doctor who can evaluate your individual needs and prescribe accordingly.

Remember, iron equals energy so make sure you're getting the amount you need.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
What are the risks of taking cobalt?
The biggest risk when taking cobalt is the potential for poisoning. This results when you have t...
At what age should I start taking iron supplements?
Talk to your doctor to determine if you need iron supplements. People who may need supplements inclu...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young