What is phosphorus used for?

Chronically low levels of phosphorus in the blood is a condition called hypophosphatemia. Phosphorus supplements are used to increase the amount of phosphorus in people with a deficiency. It also can be used to treat constipation, kidney stones and high levels of calcium in the blood, and may be used as supplementary treatment for certain types of rickets, multiple sclerosis and more.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

How does phosphorus work?
Phosphorus and calcium are absorbed by bones and teeth, helping them to grow and become stronger. Ad...
What is the role of phosphorus in my body?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Phosphorus, in the form of calcium phosphate, forms much of the structural component of bones and te...
What should I know before taking phosphorus supplements?
There are certain precautions to know before you take phosphorus. Before starting on this supplement...
What are the health benefits of phosphorus?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
The following are health benefits of phosphorus:Helps build and protect bones and teethPart of deoxy...