What is phosphorus?

Phosphorus is a mineral found mostly in foods like beans, nuts, dairy products, fish, chicken and other meats. Its primary function in the human body is building and strengthening bones and teeth. It also aids in the function of the heart, muscles, nerves and kidneys, as well as helping the body store energy and maintain healthy cells and tissue. Phosphorus drugs and supplements can be found over-the-counter and are referred to as phosphates. They may be used in the treatment (or as supplementary treatment) of conditions, such as hypophosphatemia, hypercalcemia, kidney stones, certain types of rickets or multiple sclerosis.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

How can I take phosphorus?
Phosphorus supplements come in a variety of forms. They can be taken as a tablet, a powder or a liqu...
Are there any risks in taking phosphorus?
Taking phosphorus involves some risks, as it might cause serious side effects, such as lightheadedne...
What is the best way to take phosphorus?
Phosphorus supplements should be taken as directed on the label or by your doctor or pharmacist. The...
Should I let my doctor know I'm taking phosphorus?
Because it can interact with a number of different medicines, you should let your doctor know if...