What is phosphorus?

Phosphorus is a mineral found mostly in foods like beans, nuts, dairy products, fish, chicken and other meats. Its primary function in the human body is building and strengthening bones and teeth. It also aids in the function of the heart, muscles, nerves and kidneys, as well as helping the body store energy and maintain healthy cells and tissue. Phosphorus drugs and supplements can be found over-the-counter and are referred to as phosphates. They may be used in the treatment (or as supplementary treatment) of conditions, such as hypophosphatemia, hypercalcemia, kidney stones, certain types of rickets or multiple sclerosis.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

How does phosphorus benefit bones?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
Phosphorus and calcium work hand in hand in forming new bone. Because of the interaction between the...
What should I know before taking phosphorus supplements?
There are certain precautions to know before you take phosphorus. Before starting on this supplement...
What are good foods to eat that are low in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Low Phosphorus Fruits, (One Carbohydrate Serving (15 grams)) Apples, plums, tangerines one small fr...
How can I take phosphorus?
Phosphorus supplements come in a variety of forms. They can be taken as a tablet, a powder or a liqu...