What is phosphorus?

Phosphorus is a mineral found mostly in foods like beans, nuts, dairy products, fish, chicken and other meats. Its primary function in the human body is building and strengthening bones and teeth. It also aids in the function of the heart, muscles, nerves and kidneys, as well as helping the body store energy and maintain healthy cells and tissue. Phosphorus drugs and supplements can be found over-the-counter and are referred to as phosphates. They may be used in the treatment (or as supplementary treatment) of conditions, such as hypophosphatemia, hypercalcemia, kidney stones, certain types of rickets or multiple sclerosis.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

How does phosphorus affect people on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
When people are on dialysis phosphorus can build up in the blood because the kidneys no longer work ...
Should I let my doctor know I'm taking phosphorus?
Because it can interact with a number of different medicines, you should let your doctor know if...
What is phosphorus used for?
Chronically low levels of phosphorus in the blood is a condition called hypophosphatemia. Phosphorus...
What are good foods to eat that are low in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Low Phosphorus Fruits, (One Carbohydrate Serving (15 grams)) Apples, plums, tangerines one small fr...