What are the health benefits of phosphorus?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
The following are health benefits of phosphorus:
  • Helps build and protect bones and teeth
  • Part of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA)
  • Helps convert food into energy
  • Part of phospholipids, which carry lipids in blood and help shuttle nutrients into and out of cells

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

What foods should I avoid that are high in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Phosphorus, a mineral found in bones is responsible for healthy, strong bones and teeth. It is the s...
What is phosphorus used for?
Chronically low levels of phosphorus in the blood is a condition called hypophosphatemia. Phosphorus...
What is the role of phosphorus in my body?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Phosphorus, in the form of calcium phosphate, forms much of the structural component of bones and te...
Is phosphorus safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?
The effect that phosphorus has on pregnant and breast-feeding women is currently unclear. It is ...