Is phosphorus safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?

The effect that phosphorus has on pregnant and breast-feeding women is currently unclear. It is part of the Food and Drug Administration's pregnancy category C, meaning that there hasn't been sufficient testing on humans. However, despite the risk, the potential benefits typically warrant doctors to recommend use of the supplement by pregnant and breast-feeding women. The recommended dosage for pregnant or nursing women is the same as for women who are not pregnant or nursing (750 milligrams if older than 18 and 1,250 milligrams if 18 or younger).

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

What are good foods to eat that are low in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Low Phosphorus Fruits, (One Carbohydrate Serving (15 grams)) Apples, plums, tangerines one small fr...
What are the health benefits of phosphorus?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
The following are health benefits of phosphorus:Helps build and protect bones and teethPart of deoxy...
Should I let my doctor know I'm taking phosphorus?
Because it can interact with a number of different medicines, you should let your doctor know if...
How does phosphorus affect people on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
When people are on dialysis phosphorus can build up in the blood because the kidneys no longer work ...