Does phosphorus interact with other medications?

Certain medications, such as iron supplements, antacids, anti-inflammatory medications, salt substitutes and calcium supplements, may react poorly with phosphorus and should be avoided or used with caution. Many other medications and supplements affect phosphorus levels in the body and may interact with phosphorus supplements. Other drug interactions include: bile acid sequestrants, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors), cyclosporine, potassium supplements, alcohol and any medication that affects electrolyte levels in the body.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

Does phosphorus really work?
There is significant evidence to show that phosphorus is effective in treating a number of medical c...
What is phosphorus used for?
Chronically low levels of phosphorus in the blood is a condition called hypophosphatemia. Phosphorus...
What is the role of phosphorus in my body?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Phosphorus, in the form of calcium phosphate, forms much of the structural component of bones and te...
How can I take phosphorus?
Phosphorus supplements come in a variety of forms. They can be taken as a tablet, a powder or a liqu...