What should I know before taking phosphorus supplements?

There are certain precautions to know before you take phosphorus. Before starting on this supplement, inform your doctor of your medical history. Your doctor may not recommend phosphorus if you have had medical conditions such as high blood pressure, rickets or heart, liver or kidney disease. Also, tell your doctor which drugs you are taking, as phosphorus may interact poorly with a number of medicines (such as those that affect the level of electrolytes in your body). Be careful not to take too much phosphorus, because an overdose can cause hardening of the arteries and possibly death. Additionally, phosphorus supplements may contain high levels of sodium or potassium, which is potentially dangerous for someone on a restrictive diet.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

Does phosphorus really work?
There is significant evidence to show that phosphorus is effective in treating a number of medical c...
What is phosphorus used for?
Chronically low levels of phosphorus in the blood is a condition called hypophosphatemia. Phosphorus...
What are the main food sources of phosphorus?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
The top food sources for phosphorus are: Oat bran Halibut Wild salmon Soybeans Sunflower...
What foods should I avoid that are high in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Phosphorus, a mineral found in bones is responsible for healthy, strong bones and teeth. It is the s...