What should I know before taking phosphorus supplements?

There are certain precautions to know before you take phosphorus. Before starting on this supplement, inform your doctor of your medical history. Your doctor may not recommend phosphorus if you have had medical conditions such as high blood pressure, rickets or heart, liver or kidney disease. Also, tell your doctor which drugs you are taking, as phosphorus may interact poorly with a number of medicines (such as those that affect the level of electrolytes in your body). Be careful not to take too much phosphorus, because an overdose can cause hardening of the arteries and possibly death. Additionally, phosphorus supplements may contain high levels of sodium or potassium, which is potentially dangerous for someone on a restrictive diet.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

Is phosphorus safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?
The effect that phosphorus has on pregnant and breast-feeding women is currently unclear. It is ...
What is the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for phosphorus?
Rick SayeghRick Sayegh
The RDA for phosphorus is 2mg/dl.
What are good foods to eat that are low in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Low Phosphorus Fruits, (One Carbohydrate Serving (15 grams)) Apples, plums, tangerines one small fr...
How can I take phosphorus?
Phosphorus supplements come in a variety of forms. They can be taken as a tablet, a powder or a liqu...