Why do people turn to bodywork?

People turn to bodywork for a variety of reasons: to relax, to reduce tension, or to relieve pain. Several forms of bodywork combine physical manipulation with movement education in an effort to help realign the body to create a more natural, comfortable posture, diminish tension, reduce chronic pain, and establish ease of movement. Rolfing involves deep manipulation of fascia, the connective tissue that covers muscles. The Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais, and Hellerwork make us more aware of our habitual movement patterns so that we can change or refine them. Some methods are practiced one-on one with a practitioner, while Feldenkrais and the Alexander Technique can be taught in a group setting.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

How can I perform local self-sweeping on specific areas and joints?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
Sit or stand for this exercise. Perform your standard warm-up.1. Scan your target area from a couple...
How can I find fulfillment in life?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Finding fulfillment in life is another way of saying “how do we feed ourselves and what do we need t...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?