Why do people turn to bodywork?

People turn to bodywork for a variety of reasons: to relax, to reduce tension, or to relieve pain. Several forms of bodywork combine physical manipulation with movement education in an effort to help realign the body to create a more natural, comfortable posture, diminish tension, reduce chronic pain, and establish ease of movement. Rolfing involves deep manipulation of fascia, the connective tissue that covers muscles. The Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais, and Hellerwork make us more aware of our habitual movement patterns so that we can change or refine them. Some methods are practiced one-on one with a practitioner, while Feldenkrais and the Alexander Technique can be taught in a group setting.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Shape Your Thoughts to Shape the Life You Want
Research shows that it takes about 66 days to form a new habit. It varied for each person but it was somewhere between 2 and 8 months. The study also ...
How can I reduce stress in the afternoon?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
To reduce stress in the afternoon, take two or three minutes to write down five things for which you...
What are the risks of using mind-body therapies?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you have a mental health condition, mind-body therapy can make your signs and symptoms worse. You...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?