What is thermal feedback?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Thermal biofeedback uses finger temperature to identify your state of relaxation.
  • Place a handheld thermometer on your finger and measure the temperature.
  • Focus on raising your finger temperature by 2-3 degrees Fahrenheit (preferably to about 96 degrees) while practicing relaxation techniques.
  • Some people find that it's difficult to "feel" relaxed. Using biofeedback can help show you when you are getting relaxed. Turning on and turning off specific pathways in your brain and nervous system will result in a feeling of calm, higher skin temperatures, and -- most importantly -- blocking of pain messages.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

How should I eat to keep my chakras balanced?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
Your chakras (energy centers) represent a spectrum of colors in the rainbow, so your plate should re...
How can I find fulfillment in life?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Finding fulfillment in life is another way of saying “how do we feed ourselves and what do we need t...
Does Relaxation Therapy Help Treat Anxiety/Stress?
Chanting Can Make You Heal Faster
Chanting Can Make You Heal Faster