What is thermal feedback?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Thermal biofeedback uses finger temperature to identify your state of relaxation.
  • Place a handheld thermometer on your finger and measure the temperature.
  • Focus on raising your finger temperature by 2-3 degrees Fahrenheit (preferably to about 96 degrees) while practicing relaxation techniques.
  • Some people find that it's difficult to "feel" relaxed. Using biofeedback can help show you when you are getting relaxed. Turning on and turning off specific pathways in your brain and nervous system will result in a feeling of calm, higher skin temperatures, and -- most importantly -- blocking of pain messages.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Shape Your Thoughts to Shape the Life You Want
Research shows that it takes about 66 days to form a new habit. It varied for each person but it was somewhere between 2 and 8 months. The study also ...
How can I reduce stress in the afternoon?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
To reduce stress in the afternoon, take two or three minutes to write down five things for which you...
How can I learn mindfulness meditation?
UCLA Mindful Awareness Research CenterUCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
Find a quiet place in your home and sit down on a chair. No need to be in any special posture except...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?