What is the first chakra?

Located at the tip of the cocyx (tailbone), this chakra is associated with the color red and the adrenal glands and corresponds to your fundamental survival needs, such as food and shelter and your ability to feel grounded, safe, and secure.

Root vegetables grow deep within the earth and embody the energy of this chakra. Root vegetables help us to tap into our internal, lower core to create stability. Examples of such foods include beets, parsnips, and rutabaga. Any red fruits or vegetables such as apples or pomegranates also support the first chakra. Protein can also be associated with this chakra because the lengthy process of digestion can be very grounding.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Shape Your Thoughts to Shape the Life You Want
Research shows that it takes about 66 days to form a new habit. It varied for each person but it was somewhere between 2 and 8 months. The study also ...
Can I take a shower after I have been energized?
It’s important to wait 12 hours after energizing before showering. Water can wash away some of the p...
What is the third chakra or solar plexus chakra?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
Located just below the xyphoid process is the solar plexus chakra. This chakra has to do with id...
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?