What is the first chakra?

Located at the tip of the cocyx (tailbone), this chakra is associated with the color red and the adrenal glands and corresponds to your fundamental survival needs, such as food and shelter and your ability to feel grounded, safe, and secure.

Root vegetables grow deep within the earth and embody the energy of this chakra. Root vegetables help us to tap into our internal, lower core to create stability. Examples of such foods include beets, parsnips, and rutabaga. Any red fruits or vegetables such as apples or pomegranates also support the first chakra. Protein can also be associated with this chakra because the lengthy process of digestion can be very grounding.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

What is the Feldenkrais Method used for?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Feldenkrais is used for many types of chronic pain, including headache, temporomandibular joint ...
How can mindfulness help me to accept reality?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Mindfulness is an important part of reality acceptance, since you have to be aware of your fight...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?