What is imagery?

Dreaming is very similar to imagery. Dreams are about something that has happened, something that is about to happen, something we wish to change/have happen or something unconscious we are sorting through and figuring out. Dreams are vivid. They are similar to television; colorful, active, and include pictures that draw out our sense of smell, taste, sight and hearing. Developing imagery is similar, but we want to focus on positive images (past positive images if you have them) and the use of our senses to learn, rehearse or strengthen a behavior. For example, you remember the love you had for bicycle riding when you were a kid and want to start riding a bicycle as an adult but aren't sure you remember how. You can remember an instance when you were 10, flying down the road on your bicycle. You were all alone, in the middle of the country and remember the sense of freedom and fun. Write that experience down on a piece of paper with as many specifics as you can remember including: smells, tastes, sights, movements and things you could hear. Reliving that moment alongside actually getting out and cycling, will recondition your mind and body so you'll be prepared to start cycling again.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
How can mindfulness help me to accept reality?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Mindfulness is an important part of reality acceptance, since you have to be aware of your fight...
How should I start practicing mindfulness?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
You'll be more likely to continue practicing mindfulness if you start with something that isn't ...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?