What is balneotherapy?

Many of my patients find long-lasting relief with balneotherapy, or the use of hot baths or spas to alleviate pain. This centuries-old therapy helps to increase muscle relaxation, boost blood supply to the site, and relieve rigidity and spasms in the muscles of patients with fibromyalgia, arthritis, back pain, menstrual discomfort, and most other types of pain. Epsom salts or bicarbonate of soda can also be added to therapeutic warm baths to assist in pain relief and detoxification. If you suffer with abdominal or menstrual cramps or pelvic pain, a sitz bath -- a warm water bath that covers the lower abdomen, hips, and buttocks -- can sometimes give almost instant relief. Some women add Epson salts to the warm sitz bath to increase healing.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
What is the seventh chakra or crown chakra?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
The crown chakra is home of our connection to the higher Self, or spiritual Self. It infuses the...
How long should I energize?
Believe it or not, exercise will help you become more energized. Regular physical activity increases...
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?