What are the health benefits of qigong?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Qigong is an ancient Chinese practice that creates health by balancing the chi, or vital energy, in your body. Qigong is about discovering one's true balance.

Studies at Stanford have shown that cancer patient participants are more relaxed, feel less stressed and fatigued, and experience a greater sense of well-being.

Kaiser Permanente, the largest health maintenance organization (HMO) in the country, offers Qigong to their patients. They report they began Qigong with their chronic pain patients and had such great results they are now providing these classes for all health care plan members.

Qigong, like acupuncture, uses a system of internal pathways called meridians, which run through the body. Your chi, or vital energy, can become stagnant or blocked within these pathways and Qigong makes your chi flow and restores balance in your body. When your chi is blocked or stagnant you get sluggish, slow and can experience illness.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...
Henry McCann, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Qigong (Ch'i Kung), and similar practices such as Dao Yin and Taiji (T'ai Chi) have been used in China and other parts of Asia for thousands of years to promote health. What characterizes these exercises are what are called the "Three Regulations": regulating the body, regulating the breath, and regulating the mind-intention.

A study recently published (2010) article in the American Journal of Health Promotion identified many benefits of Qigong and Taiji practice, such as improved bone density, cardiopulmonary effects, improved physical function, and better balance and fall reduction (for example in the elderly).

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Shape Your Thoughts to Shape the Life You Want
Research shows that it takes about 66 days to form a new habit. It varied for each person but it was somewhere between 2 and 8 months. The study also ...
How can I find fulfillment in life?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Finding fulfillment in life is another way of saying “how do we feed ourselves and what do we need t...
Why do people turn to bodywork?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
People turn to bodywork for a variety of reasons: to relax, to reduce tension, or to relieve pain. S...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?