What happens during shiatsu?

The shiatsu practitioner applies gentle to deep pressure to specific points on the meridians, called tsubos. Practitioners may apply pressure to the tsubos using their palms, fingers, elbows, knees and feet, but work mostly with their thumbs held side by side or, for more concentrated pressure, on top of one another. Generally, the pressure is held for several seconds and is repeated several times before the practitioner moves to another tsubo. The pressure may help to stimulate the body’s endorphins to produce a tranquilizing effect, or it may help by loosening up muscles and improving blood circulation.
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
How can I reduce stress in the afternoon?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
To reduce stress in the afternoon, take two or three minutes to write down five things for which you...
What is mind-body medicine?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The field of mind-body medicine teaches that the invisible energies of thought, feeling, attitud...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?