What happens during shiatsu?

The shiatsu practitioner applies gentle to deep pressure to specific points on the meridians, called tsubos. Practitioners may apply pressure to the tsubos using their palms, fingers, elbows, knees and feet, but work mostly with their thumbs held side by side or, for more concentrated pressure, on top of one another. Generally, the pressure is held for several seconds and is repeated several times before the practitioner moves to another tsubo. The pressure may help to stimulate the body’s endorphins to produce a tranquilizing effect, or it may help by loosening up muscles and improving blood circulation.
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Can mindfulness help me control unhealthy behavior?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Everyone experiences unhealthy or inappropriate urges at one time or another: it could be someth...
Can positive visualization help me accomplish my goals?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Common self-help suggestions seem to not be standing up to research. When you try to convince yo...
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?