What is the goal of mindfulness?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
As you practice mindfulness, it's important to remember that you have no goal other than to spend more time in the present moment with acceptance. Mindfulness has a sense of nonstriving to it. In other words, when you're being mindful, you're really just being. You're allowing yourself to be in the moment, without wishing you were somewhere else, without trying to be anything else; you just are.

After learning about mindfulness, people often will say that they must be doing it wrong because it's "not working." If you find yourself evaluating your practice in this way, remind yourself that there is no right or wrong with mindfulness and that the only goal is bringing yourself back, again and again, to the present moment.
Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
How do my chakras indicate a health problem?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
The size of your chakras, like the size of your general aura, is constantly expanding and contractin...
How can I communicate positively with my body?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
According to the latest medical studies, communicating positively with your body causes measurab...
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?
What Is Mind/Body Spirituality?