What is acupuncture-like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation?

Acupuncture-like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation is a procedure in which mild electric currents are applied to certain acupuncture points (spots on the body where an acupuncture needle may be inserted to control pain and other symptoms) on the skin. It is being studied in the treatment of dry mouth caused by radiation therapy for cancer. Also called ALTENS.

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Shape Your Thoughts to Shape the Life You Want
Research shows that it takes about 66 days to form a new habit. It varied for each person but it was somewhere between 2 and 8 months. The study also ...
How can mindfulness help me to accept reality?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Mindfulness is an important part of reality acceptance, since you have to be aware of your fight...
What is the fourth chakra or heart chakra?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
The essence of light is love, and love is what nourishes all of the chakras. In ancient scriptur...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?