Can positive visualization help me accomplish my goals?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Common self-help suggestions seem to not be standing up to research. When you try to convince yourself of positive statements, it can actually damage self-esteem. Now research is suggesting that visualizing yourself achieving your goals may make it more difficult to actually obtain those goals.

Visualizing yourself happy, successful, and in great shape is supposed to convince you that it can be true and inspire you to make it happen. However, visualizing yourself happy, successful, and in great shape seems to be so rewarding that we are no longer motivated to work for it. Visualizing it may be enough for us.

The study at Science Direct included four different experiments. What the researchers found was that positive visualizations were "de-energizing," leading to the relaxation that comes after a goal has been achieved. In one of the experiments, "a positive fantasy about the coming week led participants to feel less energized, and when surveyed a week later, they'd achieved fewer of their week's goals, than had control participants who'd originally been asked to day-dream freely about the coming week."

I am pretty sure that is the opposite of what people generally intend when practicing positive visualization. Visualization can be a useful and powerful therapeutic tool. Sometimes a job calls for a screwdriver and sometimes a job calls for a saw, and you cannot use a hammer to fix every problem. This research seems to be suggesting that visualization should be used primarily to calm your nerves. If used effectively, visualization can also help us when considering options and consequences.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

How should I start practicing mindfulness?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
To practice living mindfully, set aside times each day when you consciously stop and focus on wh...
What is visual imagery?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Visual imagery is a relaxation technique in which an individual imagines a calm, pleasurable scene o...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Does Relaxation Therapy Help Treat Anxiety/Stress?