Can mindfulness help me to be more positive?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
Living more often in the present not only reduces emotional pain; as you live more mindfully, your level of positive emotions will rise. Think about the way you've led your life up until now: whenever you've done things that could have been enjoyable, were you really present for them? When you were playing with your children, walking your dog, sitting outside with your cup of coffee in the morning, were you really there, or was your body going through the motions while your mind wandered to other, less pleasant things? If the latter is the case, your experience is typical. Our minds tend to wander to the past or the future, and we experience painful emotions, even when we're doing an activity that would bring us enjoyment if we were paying attention to it. So once you start practicing mindfulness, you should notice an increase in positive emotions. Even if the positive emotions are mild and don't last very long, enjoy them while they're there!
Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life

When you have difficulties managing your emotions, it can feel like you’re losing control of your whole life. Anger, hurt, grief, worry, and other intense feelings can be overwhelming, and how you...

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

How can I communicate positively with my body?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
According to the latest medical studies, communicating positively with your body causes measurab...
How do I begin the healing process?
Bob LivingstoneBob Livingstone
The first step is to come to terms and accept that you have an emotional pain and/or trauma that yo...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Does Relaxation Therapy Help Treat Anxiety/Stress?