How can tai chi help prevent falls?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Tai chi improves balance and, according to some studies, reduces falls. Proprioception -- the ability to sense the position of one's body in space -- declines with age. Tai chi helps train this sense, which is a function of sensory neurons in the inner ear and stretch receptors in the muscles and ligaments. Tai chi also improves muscle strength and flexibility, which makes it easier to recover from a stumble. Not only that, fear of falling can make you more likely to fall, and some studies have found that tai chi training helps reduce that fear.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Finding Your Place on the Mat
Finding Your Place on the Mat
You don't have to jump up and down like you're on a pogo stick to get fit. There are kinder, gentler ways to exercise, and these methods hail from the...
How do I perform cleansing exercises?
Some yoga poses can help with cleansing the body via stimulation of digestion, relaxation of the dia...
What should I know before I try kung fu?
Sifu Karl  RomainSifu Karl Romain
Before committing to a Kung Fu regimen, you should take a free class and make sure the instructor an...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves - ALL 8 Weeks