Does Tai Chi prevent osteoporosis?

Yes. Tai chi can be effective in preventing osteoporosis by building bone density and delaying the bone loss that can occur with aging. This mind-body technique uses movements that oscillate between each leg, which promotes bone health and improved balance.Because tai chi promotes coordination and balance, it also prevents falls in older adults.

In a number of medical trials, tai chi was evaluated and proven as an intervention that slows bone loss in postmenopausal women. In addition, the martial art improved strength, relieved arthritis pain and improved psychological health in participants with osteoporosis

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Movement as Medicine: The Power of Tai Chi
Tai chi, the ancient Chinese practice that combines movement and meditation, is designed to help you achieve balance, both physically and emotionally,...
Is there particular attire I should wear during mind-body exercise?
Most forms of mind-body exercise will require very comfortable clothing, usually fitted but stre...
What role does proper breathing play in feeling healthy?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
My regular practice of yoga has taught me the power of breathing: observing it, slowing it, controll...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves - Week 04