Does Tai Chi help treat diabetes?

Tai chi originated in China as a martial art and is touted today as a way to reduce stress, improve balance, and enhance flexibility. In people with diabetes, it can even lower blood glucose levels. According to a study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, patients who did an hour of tai chi twice a week in a class and 20 minutes three times a week at home reduced their blood glucose levels, improved their overall diabetes care, and had a better quality of life, including mental well-being. Tai chi is really good for both balance and flexibility at the same time. It also works on muscle strength and helps lower glucose because it lowers stress.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Movement as Medicine: The Power of Tai Chi
Tai chi, the ancient Chinese practice that combines movement and meditation, is designed to help you achieve balance, both physically and emotionally,...
What are some examples of mind-body exercises?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
While most people think of meditation as the main mind-body exericse, there are many other forms tha...
How do I know which mind-body exercise is right for me?
This will depend on your priorities and personal health goals. For example, are you looking for ...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves - Week 08