Does Tai Chi help treat diabetes?

Tai chi originated in China as a martial art and is touted today as a way to reduce stress, improve balance, and enhance flexibility. In people with diabetes, it can even lower blood glucose levels. According to a study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, patients who did an hour of tai chi twice a week in a class and 20 minutes three times a week at home reduced their blood glucose levels, improved their overall diabetes care, and had a better quality of life, including mental well-being. Tai chi is really good for both balance and flexibility at the same time. It also works on muscle strength and helps lower glucose because it lowers stress.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Movement as Medicine: The Power of Tai Chi
Tai chi, the ancient Chinese practice that combines movement and meditation, is designed to help you achieve balance, both physically and emotionally,...
What role does proper breathing play in feeling healthy?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
My regular practice of yoga has taught me the power of breathing: observing it, slowing it, controll...
Is there such a thing as silent laughter?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Yes. Laughing without making a sound is actually an exercise practiced in laughter therapy and laugh...
What Triggered the Use of Vigorous Exercise to Treat Parkinson's Disease?