Can tai chi build muscle strength?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Even without the assistance of weights or resistance bands, tai chi can help build muscle strength in the lower and upper extremities as well as the core muscles of the back and abdomen. In a study published in Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, Stanford University researchers reported benefits of tai chi in 39 women and men, average age 66, with below-average fitness and at least one cardiovascular risk factor. After taking 36 tai chi classes in 12 weeks, they showed improvement in both lower-body strength (measured by the number of times they could rise from a chair in 30 seconds) and upper-body strength (measured by their ability to do arm curls).

In a Japanese study using the same strength measures, 113 older adults were assigned to different 12-week exercise programs, including tai chi, brisk walking, and resistance training. People who did tai chi improved more than 30% in lower-body strength and 25% in arm strength -- almost as much as those who participated in resistance training, and more than those assigned to brisk walking.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Movement as Medicine: The Power of Tai Chi
Tai chi, the ancient Chinese practice that combines movement and meditation, is designed to help you achieve balance, both physically and emotionally,...
What role does proper breathing play in feeling healthy?
Arianna HuffingtonArianna Huffington
My regular practice of yoga has taught me the power of breathing: observing it, slowing it, controll...
How do I perform cleansing exercises?
Some yoga poses can help with cleansing the body via stimulation of digestion, relaxation of the dia...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves Week 02