Can tai chi build muscle strength?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Even without the assistance of weights or resistance bands, tai chi can help build muscle strength in the lower and upper extremities as well as the core muscles of the back and abdomen. In a study published in Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, Stanford University researchers reported benefits of tai chi in 39 women and men, average age 66, with below-average fitness and at least one cardiovascular risk factor. After taking 36 tai chi classes in 12 weeks, they showed improvement in both lower-body strength (measured by the number of times they could rise from a chair in 30 seconds) and upper-body strength (measured by their ability to do arm curls).

In a Japanese study using the same strength measures, 113 older adults were assigned to different 12-week exercise programs, including tai chi, brisk walking, and resistance training. People who did tai chi improved more than 30% in lower-body strength and 25% in arm strength -- almost as much as those who participated in resistance training, and more than those assigned to brisk walking.

Continue Learning about Mind/Body Exercise

Finding Your Place on the Mat
Finding Your Place on the Mat
You don't have to jump up and down like you're on a pogo stick to get fit. There are kinder, gentler ways to exercise, and these methods hail from the...
Is there particular attire I should wear during mind-body exercise?
Most forms of mind-body exercise will require very comfortable clothing, usually fitted but stre...
Should I worry about taking a yoga or barre class if I have a bad knee?
You should always use precaution whenever engaging in an exercise class if you have a bad knee. The ...
Beth Oliver - Yoga Practice Moves - Week 07