What benefits does almond milk have?

Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
Family Medicine
Almond milk has healthy ingredients including magnesium, calcium, minerals and protein, and it's a fantastic substitute for dairy milk in many recipes and meals. Watch functional medicine expert Mark Hyman, MD, describe the benefits of almond milk.
Sharon Richter, RD
Almond milk has 25% of the calcium you need per day, as well as vitamin D -- and it's lower in calories than low-fat cow milk. Watch registered dietician Sharon Richter discuss the healthy benefits of almond milk and how to include it in your diet.
Lisa Lillien

Almond milk is one of the hidden treasures of the grocery store. In this video, "Hungry Girl" author Lisa Lillien explains the many reasons she turns to almond milk rather than milk from a cow.

Almond milk is derived from the processing of almonds and is a good option for people who are lactose intolerant. Almond milk provides ~60calories/cup which is much lower than other milks including skim milk. This may be beneficial for those interested in controlling calories. It is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. Almond milk is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) and Calcium. However, cow’s milk contains more complete nutrition from carbohydrate to protein (protein is ~9g versus 1g in Almond milk). Skim milk is actually lower in sodium than Almond milk.
Doreen Rodo
Almond milk has the following benefits:
  • Calcium and vitamin D, both of which play a role in bone health.
  • Vitamins E which is heart protecting and good for healthy skin.
  • Vitamin A which promotes healthy eyes.
  • It is free of dairy, soy, lactose, gluten, saturated fat and eggs, making it ideal for those with allergies and cholesterol issues.
  • There is no added sugar in the unsweetened version and it has a low glycemic index, which makes it diabetes friendly.
  • It is also low in calories and perfect for the dieter.
I am commenting purely on taste and enjoyment. Christine gave great health benefits to Almond Milk and because it is made from almonds we all know that almonds are one of the healthier nuts.

However the taste is out of this world. Not everyone may like it but I for one love the taste and prefer it over regular milk. In fact, I use this on my cereal every single day. Almond milk as you are seeing has tremendous health positives but you will be just as happy with the flavor, it is a double positive.

I would like to add that you may want to add additional protein as the protein content of Almond Milk is much lower than regular milk. I typically if having cereal for breakfast (cereal + almond milk) will add a scoop of protein to get my protein to my desired levels.

Continue Learning about Milk & Health

Is Coconut Milk Really Good for You?
Is Coconut Milk Really Good for You?
Coconut milk is the new kid in the dairy case these days, turning up as a vegan alternative to cow's milk, creamer, yogurt, ice cream, even "butter." ...
How can I switch from whole milk to nonfat milk?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Transitioning from whole to nonfat milk is one of the first steps toward better weight management an...
What are the health benefits of drinking milk?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Nonfat and low fat milk and yogurt are not only excellent sources of bone-strengthening calcium and ...
Why Organic Milk Is Best
Why Organic Milk Is Best