Will having migraines complicate my pregnancy?

Dr. Dawn Marcus
Neurologist

Most women with migraines have normal pregnancies and give birth to healthy babies. Migraine sufferers are at slightly higher risk for developing increased blood pressure with preeclampsia/eclampsia and strokes, although the overall occurrence of these complications is quite small. You can help reduce your risk of high blood pressure and strokes by following these healthy lifestyle habits:

• Avoid nicotine.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Maintain normal levels of cholesterol in your diet.
  • Avoid excess weight gain.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
What's the best way to talk with my doctor about my migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you are initially seen for your headaches, you will likely have many questions about your h...
Can an aura occur without a migraine?
Dr. Irene A. Semenov, DODr. Irene A. Semenov, DO
The aura of the migraine is a very interesting and complicated process, and it is still a subject of...
What Is a Hemiplegic Migraine?
What Is a Hemiplegic Migraine?