When do migraines occur?

Many migraine attacks occur in the evening or at night and, ironically, may be the result of the body's attempt to relax after the day's stresses. Blood vessels tighten in response to stress and widen during relaxation, and dilated blood vessels in the head are a chief trigger for migraine pain. What's more, relaxation lowers an individual's pain threshold. Thus, an evening or nighttime migraine usually occurs after a particularly intense day or a period of prolonged stress.

Both the frequency and the duration of migraine headaches vary from person to person. Migraine headaches usually last at least six hours, and usually no longer than 24 hours. On occasion, however, they can persist for days, especially in women who have these headaches before or during menstruation.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
How do I care for someone in the aura phase?
To care for someone who experiences the aura phase prior to a migraine, help them determine activiti...
What should I know after visiting a migraine doctor?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you leave each appointment with your migraine doctor, make sure you can answer all of these...
Are Migraines Just Really Bad Headaches?