What's the best way to talk with my doctor about my migraines?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
When you are initially seen for your headaches, you will likely have many questions about your headache condition. Since there is a lot to cover and time is limited, make sure you use this time wisely. Prioritize your questions and get the most important ones answered first.

You'll probably get the best results if you limit yourself to asking three or four major questions at each visit. Don't expect to get everything addressed during one visit. Save these less pressing questions to ask at a later visit.

You will also get the most useful answers if you ask direct questions. For example, if your doctor wants you to take an antidepressant for your headaches, don't be afraid to say, "I don't think I'm depressed. I'm just very frustrated with these headaches, and I'm afraid no one believes that anything is wrong. Do you think I have a mental disorder?" Doctors have a much easier time answering pointed questions. In this particular case, the patient should understand that doctors use certain antidepressant medications at times because they affect certain brain chemicals that are important not only in depression, but also for chronic pain. By clarifying this, it is easier to understand why the doctor is prescribing the medication.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
At what age do migraines usually start?
Adel Olshansky, MDAdel Olshansky, MD
Migraines most commonly start around the age of puberty. In this video, Adel Olshansky, MD, a neurol...
How does postdrome phase affect the body?
The exact cause of migraines is still not entirely understood, but a change in the nervous system is...
5 Natural Headache Remedies
5 Natural Headache Remedies