What should I tell my child about his migraines?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Be sure to discuss migraines openly with your child. Let her know that migraines are a real medical problem caused by imbalances in pain chemicals in the brain. If other family members have migraine, let your child know that people usually inherit a susceptibility for migraines. It's important for your child to know that these headaches are real and not caused by something she did or didn't do. It's equally important to let her know that migraines are treatable and that you expect that they can be brought under control by using a variety of treatments. If you have migraines, make sure you're doing a good job of taking care of your own headaches and incorporating effective non-drug treatments into your daily routine to provide a good role model for your youngster.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Nearly everyone has a headache at some point—some worse than others. But if the pain is really intense, you might assume you’ve got a migraine. Well, ...
What's the difference between migraine, cluster, and tension headaches?
Migraines and cluster headaches are vascular headaches, while tension headaches are not. Cluster ...
What are rebound migraines?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Women who use acute pain-relief medicine more than two or three times a week or more than 10 days ou...
What Does My Family Need to Know If I've Been Diagnosed with Migraine?