What should I tell my child about his migraines?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Be sure to discuss migraines openly with your child. Let her know that migraines are a real medical problem caused by imbalances in pain chemicals in the brain. If other family members have migraine, let your child know that people usually inherit a susceptibility for migraines. It's important for your child to know that these headaches are real and not caused by something she did or didn't do. It's equally important to let her know that migraines are treatable and that you expect that they can be brought under control by using a variety of treatments. If you have migraines, make sure you're doing a good job of taking care of your own headaches and incorporating effective non-drug treatments into your daily routine to provide a good role model for your youngster.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

Migraine Phases and Silent Migraines
Migraine Phases and Silent Migraines
Most people associate migraines with headache pain, and for good reason—migraines are often painful. But migraines can include symptoms other than hea...
What is a hemiplegic migraine?
Dr. Mark W. Green, MDDr. Mark W. Green, MD
This kind of migraine can produce different symptoms from a standard migraine. Mark Green, MD, direc...
5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious
5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious
Learn the signs that make neurologists worry. 
If I Have Migraines Now, Will I Always Have Migraines?