What should I know after visiting a migraine doctor?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
When you leave each appointment with your migraine doctor, make sure you can answer all of these questions:
  • What is my headache diagnosis?
  • How should I take my medication? 
  • How long should this medicine take to work?
  • What main side effects should I watch for?
  • When should I make my next visit?
Don't be afraid to ask why a specific treatment was prescribed. Migraine sufferers often wonder in silence why their doctors prescribed certain treatments. This can be compounded when they go home and the family says, "Your doctor doesn't know what he's doing! He gave you a blood pressure pill instead of a headache pill!" or "We told you it was all in your head and you were just depressed." When you don't understand why a treatment is prescribed, it may be more difficult for you to be compliant with the medication and take it every day. It is always preferable for you as a patient to be interested and directly involved in your care. Your doctor should be able to clearly explain why a specific treatment was prescribed. Don't be afraid to say you don't understand why something was prescribed for you.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

Migraine Phases and Silent Migraines
Migraine Phases and Silent Migraines
Most people associate migraines with headache pain, and for good reason—migraines are often painful. But migraines can include symptoms other than hea...
Whom should I see to get help for migraines?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
I always recommend that patients start with their primary care doctor. The majority of migraine ...
5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious
5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious
Learn the signs that make neurologists worry. 
Are There Different Types of Migraines?
Are There Different Types of Migraines?