What should I know after visiting a migraine doctor?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
When you leave each appointment with your migraine doctor, make sure you can answer all of these questions:
  • What is my headache diagnosis?
  • How should I take my medication? 
  • How long should this medicine take to work?
  • What main side effects should I watch for?
  • When should I make my next visit?
Don't be afraid to ask why a specific treatment was prescribed. Migraine sufferers often wonder in silence why their doctors prescribed certain treatments. This can be compounded when they go home and the family says, "Your doctor doesn't know what he's doing! He gave you a blood pressure pill instead of a headache pill!" or "We told you it was all in your head and you were just depressed." When you don't understand why a treatment is prescribed, it may be more difficult for you to be compliant with the medication and take it every day. It is always preferable for you as a patient to be interested and directly involved in your care. Your doctor should be able to clearly explain why a specific treatment was prescribed. Don't be afraid to say you don't understand why something was prescribed for you.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
How do I manage my aura phase risk on a daily basis?
To manage the risk of experiencing a migraine and its aura phase, it is important to figure out what...
What are treatment options for the aura phase?
The aura phase is treated by controlling migraine attacks. Patients should be aware of things that c...
What Does My Family Need to Know If I've Been Diagnosed with Migraine?