What are migraine equivalents?

These are episodic symptoms such as vertigo, tingling, weakness, visual changes or aura, slurred speech or even confusion that are often not accompanied by headache but are nonetheless due to the physiologic changes that are occurring in migraine, typically the phase called spreading electrical depression. These can be quite disturbing to the patient and often respond to the same medication one uses to abort their typical migraine.

A hemiplegic migraine is a migraine that can cause temporary motor paralysis and sensory deficits on one side of the body. It is followed by a very severe headache. It is a very rare type of migraine.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Nearly everyone has a headache at some point—some worse than others. But if the pain is really intense, you might assume you’ve got a migraine. Well, ...
How can I prevent migraines?
Adel Olshansky, MDAdel Olshansky, MD
By recognizing an aura as the beginning of a migraine, you can take medication quickly to stop the h...
What are the flashes of light that occur before I get a migraine?
Steven A. Meyers, MDSteven A. Meyers, MD
You are describing migraine with aura. The aura refers to the visual disturbance you describe, which...
Is Migraine Treatment Different for Children?