How does a migraine attack affect drug absorption?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Although most people prefer to take medications by mouth, drug absorption is often limited by poor absorption from the stomach and gastroparesis (slow gastric emptying). During a migraine attack, it takes over 10 percent longer for the stomach contents to empty. This means that your body will have a lesser amount of drug available, and it will take longer for that drug to reach target organs during a migraine attack.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
An Electric Band May Prevent Migraines
When Jay Silverheels portrayed Tonto in TV’s The Lone Ranger, he wore a simple headband across his forehead. Johnny Depp amped up the character’s cost...
How does the aura phase affect the body?
During the aura phase, waves of electrical impulses move throughout various areas of the brain. This...
How can I tell if I have a migraine or just a bad headache?
Mark W. Green, MDMark W. Green, MD
Run of the mill headaches are not migraines, but if everyday activities trigger severe headaches...
Why Should I See a Neurologist for My Migraines?