How long should I let my child nap when she has a migraine?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Sleep can be a potent headache reliever in children. Try having your child lie down for a 15- to 20-minute nap with her next migraine. If she wakes headache-free or with a substantially relieved headache, let the school nurse know that a short nap in the nurse's office may be helpful when your child has a headache. Be sure to reinforce that the nurse should wake the child after 20 minutes rather than permitting long naps. If your child feels the need for long naps during the day, make sure she is getting enough sleep each night.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headaches

Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Is Your Headache a Migraine?
Nearly everyone has a headache at some point—some worse than others. But if the pain is really intense, you might assume you’ve got a migraine. Well, ...
What's the best way to talk with my doctor about my migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
When you are initially seen for your headaches, you will likely have many questions about your h...
5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious
5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious5 Times Your Headache Is Something More Serious
Learn the signs that make neurologists worry. 
What Is an Aura?
What Is an Aura?