What are the side effects of migraine-prevention drugs in children?

Dr. Dawn Marcus
Neurologist

Studies evaluating prevention drugs in children are limited. Drugs that effectively prevent migraine that have been directly tested in young people include propranolol (Inderal); the antidepressants amitriptyline (Elavil) and trazodone (Desyrel, Beneficat); and the anti-seizure drugs valproate (Depakene, Depacon) and topiramate (Topamax).

A study that compared migraine prevention in 120 children ages 3 to 15 years treated with either propranolol or valproate found that headache frequency was reduced by at least half in 7 of 10 children treated with either valproate or propranolol. A small study comparing headache improvement in 48 children with migraine treated with either valproate or topiramate likewise found that both treatments provided similar results. The anti-seizure drug levetiracetam (Keppra XR) was effective in preventing migraines in two studies testing small numbers of youngsters (19 youth in one study and 20 in another); however, both valproate and topiramate have been more extensively studied in younger patients than has levetiracetam.

Migraine prevention medications can be sedating. Children taking these medications should be monitored for problems with alertness, concentration and school performance. The newer class of antidepressants called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are sometimes used to treat migraines in adults, although they tend to be only modestly effective. Because SSRIs have been linked to a small but significantly increased risk of suicide in pediatric patients being treated for mood disorders, careful monitoring is required in young people using SSRI antidepressants.

The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Treatment

Can Botox reduce migraines?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
Botox can reduce migraines and is administered as a preventive or prophylactic measure. The person r...
What is the risk of using opioids for treating migraines during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Opioids (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, and methadone) have a very limited role in migraine a...
If I Have Migraines Now, Will I Always Have Migraines?
Can Weather Impact Migraine?
Can Weather Impact Migraine?