What is rescue therapy for migraine headaches?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
If your usual acute treatments don't work for a particular migraine headache, you might need a rescue therapy. Many medications can be used for rescue. Some of the more common ones are: chlorpromazine (Thorazine); a combination of isometheptene mucate, dichloral-phenazone, and acetaminophen (Midrin); and hydroxyzine (Vistaril). Opioid pain medications are often not helpful, and should be used sparingly because of a higher risk for developing rebound headaches relative to other medications.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Treatment

What medications are used to treat migraine?
Acetaminophen is available in combination with other drugs. The following combinations may be effect...
How can I treat my headaches during menopause?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Menopause is the time when a woman's menstrual cycles stop. The early stages of menopause can be...
Can Migraine Cause Death?
Can Migraine Cause Death?
Are There Different Types of Migraines?
Are There Different Types of Migraines?