What migraine medication can I take if I have gastroparesis?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Because gastroparesis (slow gastric emptying) limits the effectiveness of many migraine pills, drug manufacturers are developing and testing alternative migraine therapies. Drugs given using alternative routes of administration are called different formulations. The advantages of taking a medication using a different formulation can be:
  • A more consistent response
  • Quicker onset of effectiveness
  • More effective
  • Less likelihood of the same migraine returning
  • Fewer side effects
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Treatment

What is the risk of using opioids for treating migraines during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Opioids (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, and methadone) have a very limited role in migraine a...
What is one way to help relieve migraines?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Many migraine sufferers are resigned to spending time in dark rooms while a bout passes. Dr. Rob...
What's the Proper Imaging for Migraines?
What Is a Migraine?
What Is a Migraine?