How have migraine treatments changed?

Medications to treat migraines have come a long way over the last 30 years. In this video, Mark Green, MD, director of the Center for Headache and Pain Medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, explains how modern treatments differ.
Migraine treatment has blossomed over the last 20 years. Much excellent research has gone on to develop treatments for both the prevention of a migraine and getting rid of one when it does occur. Some of the old standbys continue to be effective, but some newer medications have come out and have improved the quality of life for many. Happily, many of the newer medications are also off-patent, so they are affordable. Advancement in migraine care has also jumped in non-medication strategies. A good discussion with your doctor can help a patient reap the benefits of the advancement of migraine treatment.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Treatment

How can owning a dog help me control health problems like migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Looking for a novel way to help get your migraines under better control? Believe it or not, your...
How do serotonin receptor agonists help relieve migraine pain?
Serotonin receptor agonists (triptans), such as sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, rizatriptan, naratrip...
If I Have Migraines Now, Will I Always Have Migraines?
Are There Certain Types of Exercise That Are Better Than Others for Migraine?