What medication is most effective for preventing migraines?

This is not really answerable as different medications are effective in different people. The most commonly used ones are amitriptyline, propranolol, topiramate, and divalproex. Others are occasionally effective, but that list is very long. 

The most important consideration is that the medications are tolerated and taken for long enough at a sufficient dose before determining whether it is effective.

Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
The most effective migraine preventative is the one that works best for the individual. Old medications may work better than new ones. The newest treatment that has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for migraine is Botox injections, which are only approved for patients with more than 15 days of migraines each month.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Prevention

News: FDA Approves New Drug for Migraine Prevention
Migraines, a type of moderate-to-severe headache, affect 39 million Americans and a whopping 1 billion people around the world, according to the Migra...
Can changing my diet and other habits help prevent migraines?
Dr. Irene A. Semenov, DODr. Irene A. Semenov, DO
For migraines it is best to avoid certain food triggers which can be associated with migraines. Some...
What should my teen do to avoid getting migraine headaches?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
The onset of migraines is often affected by menstruation and certain foods. In this video, Dr. R...
If I Have Consistent Migraines, Is There Any Fear of Something Worse Like a Brain Tumor?