What can help me prevent a migraine on vacation?

It’s great to finally get time off from work, but many aspects of vacations can trigger migraines…sleeping in (too much sleep can trigger a migraine, as can skipping that morning cup ‘o’ joe), changing sleep habits, traveling through time zones, or sharing a hotel room with your screaming kids.

To reduce the likelihood of a migraine, try to keep the same sleep schedule, and don’t skip that morning coffee. If you want to cut down on your caffeine intake, this is probably not the time to experiment, and it needs to be done gradually. Also, bring ear plugs and a sleep mask; consider trying melatonin, which may help regulate sleep.

Bring your medications with you, in your bag with you, in the car with you, on the plane with you…accessible at all times…even if your medication  if Tylenol and a bottle of water. Be prepared during your travels.

If you’re headed to a sunny climate, opt for rose-colored glasses, both literally and figuratively. Rose-colored lenses may help to block out the wavelengths of light that are more likely to trigger a migraine. Then enjoy the sun with a good sunscreen on, of course.
While on vacation, it's easy to get dehydrated, which can bring on a migraine. For this reason, it's important to drink plenty of fluids. If you have a history of migraines, you can talk to your doctor about possible preventative medications or medications that can stop a migraine if it starts.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Prevention

News: FDA Approves New Drug for Migraine Prevention
Migraines, a type of moderate-to-severe headache, affect 39 million Americans and a whopping 1 billion people around the world, according to the Migra...
What are ways to prevent menstrual migraine?
Women who experience severe menstrual migraine attacks may be candidates for preventive therapy,...
How can I prevent migraines?
Adel Olshansky, MDAdel Olshansky, MD
By recognizing an aura as the beginning of a migraine, you can take medication quickly to stop the h...
What Should I Tell My Physician About My Migraines?