How is postdrome phase of a migraine headache diagnosed?

The last phase of a migraine headache is called the postdrome phase. It begins after the pain of the migraine has ended and lasts anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. The person is often left feeling as though her or she is having a hangover of sorts, which is why the postdrome phase is often nicknamed the headache hangover. Because of its severity and chronicity, the postdrome phase can be debilitating. It is diagnosed by clinical symptoms, which include fatigue, difficulty concentrating, irritability, discomfort and low-grade pain.

The postdrome phase of a migraine headache is diagnosed by the symptoms and their relation to your migraine headache. If after a migraine headache, you feel weak, tired, confused, or melancholic or elated, chances are you have entered the postdrome phase. Doctors use these symptoms and their timing after a migraine to determine whether or not you are in the postdrome phase. There are also a series of tests that they can perform to diagnose a migraine headache including a CT scan, an MRI, and a spinal tap.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Diagnosis

What is the rating scale for migraines?
Mark W. Green, MDMark W. Green, MD
A headache rating scale is sometimes used in clinical trials, but it's subjective. In this video, Ma...
How are menstrual migraines diagnosed?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
In order to determine if your headaches are related to your menstrual periods, you will need to ...
What's the Difference Between a Headache and a Migraine?
What Should I Tell My Physician About My Migraines?