Why do I get migraines the days I take the non-active birth control pills?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
When headaches are aggravated by taking birth control pills, women usually notice that their worst headaches occur during the first few days of the placebo pills in the birth control pill pack. When you switch to the placebo pills, your estrogen level will drop. This is the same time of the month when you would normally have a drop in your estrogen level. By taking extra estrogen during the active pill weeks, the drop from the highest estrogen level your body experiences to the lowest level is more than before you started taking the pill. In general, the bigger the drop in estrogen, the more likely you are to have an aggravation of your migraines.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Causes

Can use of birth control pills make my migraines worse?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
In some women, birth control pills improve migraine. The pills may help reduce the number of attacks...
Can stress cause migraines?
Teri RobertTeri Robert
There's still some debate among migraine experts about whether stress is a migraine trigger. In fact...
What Makes Botox Work for Migraines?
What Makes Botox Work for Migraines?
As You Look Into Future Treatment for Migraine, What Are you hoping for?